Thursday, January 6, 2011

i nominate black beans..

After work last night, I was hungry. I opened the pantry to find a can of black eyed peas with bacon. My mind freaked.. I bought those for New Years Day, purely on superstition. I remembered buying them on New Years Eve and thinking the with bacon part would taint the rumored “good luck” one would receive by eating them on New Years Day. Seeing how with bacon was my only option, I went for it.

New years Day rolled around and after reaching the interstate, headed to T-town, I realized I had left them behind.. I may have forgotten but fortunately the Sooners didn’t. ;)

So after some thought and a couple of texts on the ‘rules’, it was decided that maybe the 5 day delay wouldn’t matter. Better late than never.. To be double sure, I’d eat an entire can. I had a little giddy in my up as I cooked me up some bean-peas and sat on the couch, just in time for the Colbert Report. Lucky?.. maybe.

I took my first bite..

I must have been so caught up in Colbert’s schpeel on the value of gold, based on shininess, to the paper dollar because it wasn’t until I swallowed that “good luck” became very much NOT worth it. Black eyed peas, the food, are awful.

The “good luck” thing HAS to be a marketing ploy: Black eyed pea sales are down.. Let’s call them lucky, but only if you eat them the first day of every year.. sending America into a frenzy. The sales in that one day will make up for the entire year. High fives all around.

Jokes on you America.. or.. world.

No comments:

Post a Comment